Do you want to use your Xbox gaming console with your computer? Although it seems complicated, the whole process is relatively straightforward.
To connect Xbox to your computer, connect one end of an HDMI cable to your PC and the other end to the Xbox, turn on both devices, head to Settings > “TV & OneGuide”> “Audio & Video”> “HDMI”> “Next”. Open “OneGuide”, follow the on-screen instructions, and click “Next” to complete the process.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to connect Xbox to your computer. We will also explore the process for connecting the Xbox controller to Windows PC.
- Connecting an Xbox to a Computer
- Method #1: Using an HDMI Cable [Windows]
- Method #2: Using the Xbox App [Windows]
- Method #3: Using OneCast [Mac]
- Connecting an Xbox Controller to a Windows PC
- Frequently Asked Questions
Connecting an Xbox to a Computer
If you don’t know how to connect Xbox to your computer, our following 3 step-by-step methods will help you do this task quickly.
Method #1: Using an HDMI Cable [Windows]
By following these steps, you can use an HDMI cable to connect the Xbox to your Windows PC.
- Connect one end of the HDMI cable to your Windows PC HDMI port and the other to the HDMI port of your Xbox.
- Turn on your PC and the Xbox.
- O your computer, head to Settings > “TV & OneGuide” > “Audio & Video” > “HDMI”.
- Click “Next” to detect the picture of your PC.
- Click “OneGuide”, follow the on-screen instructions, and click “Next”.
You can now stream Xbox on your Windows computer.
Method #2: Using the Xbox App [Windows]
If you want to connect Xbox to your PC wirelessly, this can be done via the Xbox app by following these steps.
- Turn on your Windows PC and install the Xbox app.
- Go to the Start menu and launch the Xbox app.
- Click “Connection” from the left menu and choose “Add a Device” from the top-right corner of the screen.
- After your Xbox is detected, click “Connect”.
- Head to the “Connections” tab and click “Stream” to play Xbox games on your computer.
If you are unable to connect your Xbox, open “Settings” on Xbox, choose “Devices & streaming”, and click “Device connections”. Enable the “Allow Play To Streaming” and “Allow game streaming to other devices” option.
Method #3: Using OneCast [Mac]
If using a Mac computer, follow these steps to connect Xbox to your device via the OneCast software.
While connecting your Xbox to your Mac computer, ensure both devices utilize the same Wi-Fi network.
- Turn on your Mac computer, launch a browser, and open the OneCast website.
- Click “Download for Mac”.
- After the installation process is complete, launch the OneCast software on your Mac computer.
- Click “Video Quality” to adjust it.
- Click “Connect” on the OneCast window.
The Xbox has been successfully connected to your Mac computer for streaming.
Pairing the Xbox Controller
To connect the Xbox controller to your Mac computer, press the pairing button on the controller, click the Bluetooth icon on the menu bar, and select “Open Bluetooth Preferences” from the drop-down. From here, click “Connect” next to the Xbox controller.
Connecting an Xbox Controller to a Windows PC
After connecting the Xbox console to your Windows PC, these steps will help you pair the Xbox controller using a USB cable.
- Connect one end of the micro-USB cable to your Xbox controller.
- Connect the other end of the micro-USB cable to your Windows PC.
- The Xbox controller will be automatically detected on your PC.
However, if you don’t want to make a wired connection, you can pair your Xbox controller to a PC via Bluetooth by following these steps.
- Long press the guide button on your Xbox controller for a few seconds.
- Long press the pairing button for a few seconds until a light flashes on your Xbox controller.
- Go to the Start menu on your Windows PC and search “Bluetooth”.
- Click “Add Bluetooth or other Device”.
- Click “Bluetooth” on the pop-up window.
- Choose “Xbox Wireless Controller”.
After the light on the guide button becomes stable white, the Xbox Controller will successfully pair to your Windows PC.
You can connect the Xbox controller to your Windows PC using an Xbox wireless adapter. Connect the USB dongle to your computer and complete the pairing process.
In this guide, we’ve discussed connecting Xbox to a computer using an HDMI cable, Xbox app, and OneCast. We’ve also shared a method for pairing the Xbox controller to Windows PC via micro-USB cable and Bluetooth.
Hopefully, your problem is resolved, and you can quickly stream Xbox content on your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any difference between the gaming experience on computers and TVs?
Monitors are considered more appropriate for gaming because they have higher refresh rates. However, the gaming experience depends on the resolution and graphics card of the PC.
How do I play Xbox on a computer?
If you want to play Xbox games on your computer, turn it on, launch a browser, go to the “Xbox Play Anywhere“ website, and enter your Microsoft account credentials to log in. Install your favorite games and connect your controller to start playing games on your PC.
Can I play Xbox games with a mouse and keyboard on a PC?
Whether you can play Xbox games with a mouse and keyboard on your PC depends on the game you are playing. You can check if the game publisher has enabled this feature. However, you can’t use a mouse on the Xbox dashboard.